Thursday, January 19, 2017

Online Dating: My First Date Experience

I was freshly out of a very ugly divorce but felt that I was ready to move on and see what else was out there for me. I had been on a couple of dating sites for a few months but nothing had gone beyond just chatting. Until Lee came along.



Lee lived not too far from me, maybe a 45 minute drive. We had been chatting for awhile which eventually led to texting and a few phone calls here and there. He was cute, bald, dark eyes, a few tattoos. He had a son and we talked a lot about our kids. He finally asked me out to lunch on a Sunday afternoon.

An hour or two before we were set to meet, he calls me on the phone. He is angry because apparently his ex girlfriend had never taken his bank account off of her car payment, causing her car payment to come from his account (which should have clued me in that it hadn't been long at all since the break up). He was upset because he couldn't get any money out of his bank account and since it was Sunday there was nothing he could do about it until the next day.

"Oh. So what does that mean?" I asked?
"It's fine, I have money on me so we can still get lunch". He replied.

I was relieved, after thinking that my first date was going to have a road block before it even started.

I was a nervous wreck driving to the restaurant and of course I drove to the wrong one first and I had to call him to find out how to get to the correct one (that is such a ME thing to do..sigh). I puled into the restaurant and waited for him to get there.

He pulled into the restaurant and parked right next to mine. Here comes the worst part: the awkward moment of meeting in person, face to face, no filters, no sexy angles, just you and him. I was so nervous I didn't know what to say.

We said our hellos and stood outside doing the awkward chit chat that makes me want to cut my eyes out with a spork. So uncomfortable and just awkward! Awkward is the best way to describe it!

We finally went inside and sat down. The conversation began to flow easier and luckily there were none of those awkward silence moments that I despise so much. The one thing that I noticed pretty quickly was that he talked about his ex girlfriend a lot but seeing that I had just been through a rough divorce, I understood that it sometimes helps to be able to talk about it to others but it was probably a bad idea to do that on a first date.

As we were finishing up, he says, "Oh, since I don't have much money because of the bank, can you cover your half?". I was a little surprised at that but luckily I came prepared.

"Next time is my treat", he said.

Ok, I thought, he said next time so that means there is a possibility of a second date. Sweet!

As we were saying goodbye, he asked if I would like to see him again. I smiled shyly and said, "sure!" and he told me to call him later that day.

I didn't hear from him for a few days after that and then when I texted him he said that he had been sick and he apologized for not being in touch.

I never heard from him again. It wasn't a huge loss. I wasn't heartbroken over it but it just kind of sucked when you think he is into you and he ghosts on you. First dates after that were much easier on me though and this was definitely a learning experience.

Question: Who do you think should pay on a first date? The guy? The Girl? Each pay your own way? Leave a comment and tell us what you think!

I plan on telling more of my online dating meet up stories in the future, so stick around!! Do you have one you would like to share?? Send it to us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe