Sunday, January 1, 2017

Getting Healthier In The New Year; Real Sh*t!

A few days ago I wrote a post about what it's like to really be fat listing the realities of being overweight and the toll that it takes on our bodies. I mentioned that the whole post was leading to something else, and here it is.

As I get older, the reality of death is something that crosses my mind every once in awhile; the fact that I am getting older and that we don't live forever. I've been told that this is a pretty normal thing once people get to the age of 35 or so. Most people in their 20s feel invincible. They have their entire lives in front of them and death is a million years away. The fact is, life is not forever, and not everyone lives to be 90 years old. People die in their 20s, 30s, 40s...etc., for a variety of reasons. It could be a tragic car accident, cancer or just an unhealthy body. To some, 39 may not seem that old but there have been 3 or 4 of my classmates pass away already for various reasons.

As I mentioned in that post earlier this week, I have noticed some changes happening in my body over the past year. My body doesn't work the way that it used to. Despite feeling fat, I was usually always able to do anything physically, maybe a bit slower but I could still do it. Not so much any more. My knees hurt, my back hurts, I have heart palpitations, I get out of breath easier, I can't keep up as easy as I used to be able to, and I also have some stomach issues going on. My stomach seems to always hurt and I constantly feel bloated and uncomfortable. Not to mention that most of my clothing make me feel like a busted can of biscuits!

I don't feel comfortable in my body any more and something needs to change. I have 3 great kids who need me in their lives for awhile yet. It's not impossible for people like me to have heart attacks or to get cancer (yes, I know cancer can show up at any age but these are things I think about). Life isn't forever and I don't want to spend the rest of my life being miserable and uncomfortable.



Something has got to change.

I realize that we can't control everything that happens to our body but the one thing I can control is my weight. My food addiction is real. I can control how much alcohol I drink, I can quit smoking, but food is my #1 hang up. It's time to take back that control. I know what I need to do and I know how to do it, the struggle is DOING it.

Apart from the health aspect of losing weight, one of my big motivators for weight loss is that I am planning on taking the kids to New York City in June. I've been there 3 times in the past but I wanted to wait until the kids were older to take them. I never worried about walking around the city when I went the first 3 times, and I was always able to keep up, but this time, I'm worried. I have a lot of friends in NY that I plan on being my tour guides and I don't want to slow them down or embarrass myself.

I'm not going to turn this into a weight loss blog; that's not what I want, however, I do talk about body positivity and feeling comfortable in your own body. I don't feel comfortable in my own body but I am going to attempt to change that. I will post updates every once in awhile but not every week, I promise. It would be nice to have some cheerleaders along the way though because this is going to be rough for me!

This shit is going to suck and it's going to be hard. I've relied on food my entire life and now I have to face it head on and shout, "NO!". I have to do it this time. I know that I will never be thin but I can be healthier and happier.

I know the whole New Year, New Me crap is old and cliche but 2016 was a craptastic year, and I'm going to make 2017 better.

What are your goals and aspirations for the new year?? Leave a comment and share them with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe